- The EI Southern Scotland branch jointly organised an event with Scottish Energy Centre to a packed audience in February. Over 200 people attended from across Scotland which was hosted by Professor John Currie FEI, Director of the Scottish Energy Centre and also co-chair of the 2020 Climate Group in Scotland. Professor David MacKay, Chief Scientific Advisor to the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), was invited to make a presentation on the free online software which his team have developed to compare various carbon and energy decision pathways to map a range of 2050 outcomes.
- Energy efficiency is included as an integral part of all climate change mitigation strategies proposed by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and International Energy Agency (IEA). Adopting an energy management system is one of the best ways for the UAE to reduce its energy consumption.
- Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical, and medical information products and services, is pleased to announce that they have entered into a publishing agreement with the Energy Institute (EI) to publish its official journal, Journal of the Energy Institute.
- Energy Institute student and graduate members are invited to apply for a sponsored place (via the Student Grant Programme) or to attend as a volunteer (via the Volunteer Programme) at the next World Petroleum Congress (WPC) in Moscow on 15-19 June 2014.
- Once again, the branch was pleased to welcome some 400 members and guests to the 2014 Annual Dinner, at the Marcliffe Hotel in Aberdeen. The Portlethen Academy Ceilidh Band provided a true Scottish welcome in the foyer of the hotel as guests arrived and when everyone was in the ballroom, Piper Julie Brinklow led a Grand March into the ballroom for the top table guests.
- A group of influential speakers will offer insights on the future of liquefied natural gas (LNG) as a transport fuel for ships at the forthcoming Gastech , a leading LNG and natural gas conference and exhibition.
- The Energy Institute (EI) welcomed hundreds of energy professionals to the first day of International Petroleum (IP) Week 2014, held in London on 17-19 February. This year's event celebrated the EI's 100th anniversary since the formation of its oldest founding body - the Institution of Petroleum Technologists, with a special centenary interview featuring Tony Hayward HonFEI, Executive Director and CEO, Genel Energy.