Climate emergency and industry capability at heart of IP Week 2020
The oil and gas industry’s engineering capability, financial weight and ability to deliver globally at scale could be critical in tackling the climate emergency, EI President Steve Holliday FREng FEI said today.
Writing in the EI’s Energy World and Petroleum Review magazines and ahead of chairing IP Week 2020 in London next month, he said:
“The IP Week 2020 programme will focus decisively on the low carbon future and the role of oil and gas industry in it.
“Alongside leaders from across the industry we’ll be bringing in external speakers from environmental NGOs, government and elsewhere to provide vital context to the urgent global challenge we face.
“To be clear, there is a climate emergency and we must remove greenhouse gas emissions from the global energy system as quickly as possible.
“Even as we pursue all and every low carbon alternative, oil and gas still account for 54% of the world’s energy needs. And we should never forget that our ability to harness these resources has delivered incredible improvements in our quality of life.
“The question for companies working in oil and gas is whether everything possible is being done to tackle emissions of methane and bring on vital CCUS to move us more quickly towards net zero.
“The engineering capabilities are certainly there, as are the financial weight and the proven ability to deliver globally and at scale.”
The speaker line-up for IP Week 2020, taking place in London between 25-27 February, includes incoming BP Chief Executive Bernard Looney FREng FEI; Shell UK Country Chair Sinead Lynch FEI; Masdar Chief Executive Mohamed Jameel Al Ramahi; FCO Special Representative for Climate Change Nick Bridge; Friends of the Earth Chief Executive Craig Bennett; and IEA Executive Director Dr Fatih Birol HonFEI.
Also confirmed are:
- Patrick Allman-Ward, CEO, Dana Gas
- Arnaud Breuillac, President Exploration & Production, Member of Executive Committee, Total
- Roger Brown, Chief Financial Officer, Seplat
- Deborah Byers, Americas Sector Leader, US Oil & Gas Leader, EY
- Manish Chawla, Global Managing Director, Energy & Natural Resources, IBM
- Colette Cohen OBE FEI, Chief Executive Officer, The Oil & Gas Technology Centre
- Al Cook, Executive Vice President, Global Strategy & Business Development, Equinor
- Kate Dourian, Regional Manager, Middle East and Gulf States, World Energy Council
- Mark Gyetvay, CFO & Deputy Chairman of the Management Board, NOVATEK
- Matt Haddon, Global Lead of Sustainability Services, ERM
- Russel Hardy, Group CEO, Vitol
- Andy Inglis, Chairman and Chief Executive, Kosmos Energy
- HE Shaikh Mohammed bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Khalifa, Minister of Oil, Bahrain
- Andy Kinsella, CEO, Mainstream Renewable Power
- Joan MacNaughton CB HonFEI, Chair, The Climate Group
- Ben N Ratner, Senior Director, Environmental Defense Fund
- Mathios Rigas, Chief Executive Officer, Energean Oil & Gas
- Dev Sanyal FEI, Chief Executive, Alternative Energy And Executive Vice President, Regions, BP
- Andrew Smart, Global Energy Lead, Accenture
- Ed Williams, Vice Chairman, Edelman Europe
The full IP Week programme, and event tickets, can be found at www.ipweek.co.uk
Notes for editors
- For media enquiries and journalist accreditation for IP Week, please contact Neil Michie on 020 7467 7132 or email@example.com
- Steve Holliday's article can be read at: https://knowledge.energyinst.org/search/record?id=113269
- The Energy Institute (EI) is the chartered professional membership body bringing together expertise for urgent global challenges.
We gather and share essential knowledge about energy, provide the skills that are helping us all use it more wisely, and develop the good practice needed to keep it safe and secure.
We articulate the voice of energy experts, taking the know-how of around 20,000 members and 200 companies from 120 countries to the heart of the public debate.